Sunday, June 19, 2011

Too Much Heaven On My Mind? NOT!

TOO MUCH HEAVEN ON MY MIND? NOT!
The Jesus Christ, Superstar album had a song in it called, "Too Much Heaven On Their Minds", and I really have to ask the question, "Can you really have too much heaven on your mind?"  I don't think so!  I think the idea is permanently exciting!  "But as it is written, 'Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him.'" (1 Cor. 2:9)  Doesn't this concept stir up inquisitiveness as to what we're going to see and hear when we get there?  It does for me!

I once was involved in a bible study in my church where the study book asked the question, "Which of the following light sources best describes your witness for Christ?"  It gave 5 different choices between a burned out lightbulb and a lighthouse beacon, and don't you know I wrote in a 6th response?  Nuclear fireball!  When you know where you're going, and you know Jesus said it is going to be unbelievably terrific up there for all eternity in His many comparisons of what heaven can be expected to be like, you have to be looking forward to the trip, save going through the moment of death to get there!

Ever hear of "earworms"?  Wikipedia describes them as "music being stuck in one's head."  I used to have all kinds of worldly music earworms in my head all the time, and some I didn't even like the songs, but they were stuck there.  I have been training my mind to reject the old worldly songs, and welcome and enjoy the songs I remember from church, that I might fulfill what Paul wrote to the Ephesians, "That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." (Eph. 4:22 - 24)  In this way I put off the mind of the old nature with songs in my head that bring no clean thoughts or thoughts that do the Lord glory or honor, and replace them with thoughts that are of glory and honor to the Lord in song, that I might be the new creation He wants me to be!

Paul told the Thessalonians how to be heavenly minded; "Pray without ceasing.  In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.  Quench not the Spirit.  Despise not prophesyings.  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." (1 Thess. 5:17 - 21)  If you pray without ceasing, you are always heavenly minded, because you're speaking to the Creator of heaven! (ALL believers pray to the true God!)  If you do not quench the Spirit, you are living in a spiritual frame of mind toward God's ministry.  Spiritually minded is heavenly minded.

Got zeal for God?  I do!  Unfortunately, with all that heaven on my mind, I have driven some of my "old nature friends" away since the onset of being born again!  David had the same problem, too, though, so I know I'm not unique in this affliction!  "I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother's children.  For the zeal of Thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached Thee are fallen upon me." (Psa. 69:8 - 9)  But while I was saddened that these old friends no longer wanted to associate with me, nor join me in my joy of having become a new creature and child of God, I was delighted to have gained in exchange my brothers and sisters in Christ at their loss!  If God wills it, maybe He will answer my prayer that they join me in His perfect time to be other brothers and sisters in Christ!

So if you wake up every single morning, and think about Him all the day long, and pray to Him for things, about things with thanksgiving for any thing that you have, or any thing that He has done for you, you are obeying what Christ Jesus said in the gospel!  "Jesus said unto him, 'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.'" (Matt. 22:37 - 38)  Christ was quoting Deut. 6:5 in His answer.  You can never have too much heaven on your mind, because for as much as you do have God and heaven on your mind, and as much as you do talk and pray to Him about whatever is on your heart, you are obeying Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment