Saturday, March 23, 2013

2 Blessed To Be Depressed!



2 Blessed 2 B Depressed! (Matt. 5:11 - 12)

I initially heard this saying on a radio talk show, and I liked it so much, I adopted it, but I wanted to add a little to it to make it a great witnessing opening. I was reading the Bible one day, and, "Ah, I have it!" "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for My sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." (Matt. 5:11 - 12) I'm too blessed by the promise of a great reward in heaven by Jesus, to be depressed by the evil being said against me by unbelievers in my Savior. I could also have used what Luke wrote: "Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets." (Luke 6:22 - 23) I have had this actually happen to me, so I know I have a great reward by Jesus' promise here. Indeed I know men and women who hate me, not that they have said it, but in their demonstration of their behavior, although cetain women have borne false witness against me as an excuse to disconnect from me. I have had someone change their Email and phone number to get away from me, used what I said as an excuse to be offended other than my doctrinal belief in Jesus, but the core of what really caused them to seperate was when they changed churches, so I know the real problem that was between us. But I focus on the reason for my reward rather than be troubled by the loss of people who haven't accepted Christ the way I have.

Peter also wrote of blessings for revile and scorn for the name of Christ; "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part He is evil spoken of, but on your part He is glorified. But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters. Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf." (1 Pet. 4:12 - 16) Now the strange thing Peter refers to is the fact that just because you've been converted to being born again doesn't mean everyone else did, too. You will suffer losses of friends and family, but also the heathens and all other manner of unsaved people will be disgusted at your belief in Christ. As for Peter's sin warning, some have lost presence of mind that they are to behave as ambassadors of Christ, and it is hypocrisy to practice these sins and yet claim to walk in His light. Peter's final comment on this concept is to not be embarassed or ashamed to claim your Savior. remember also Jesus' words on this point; "Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of Me and of My words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." (Mark 8:38)

Now I want to point out that the apostles of Christ thoroughly understood this tenet, and I offer this scripture to show how they behaved after a beating for His name's sake! "And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name. And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ." (Acts 5:40 - 42) So ought we who believe behave also! Bloody backs hurt for a time, but eternally enjoying rewards promised in heaven are forever!

Remember how it is written also that they treated the prophets the same way? Yes, they treated them even WORSE! "Nevertheless they were disobedient, and rebelled against Thee, and cast Thy law behind their backs, and slew Thy prophets which testified against them to turn them to Thee, and they wrought great provocations." (Neh. 9:26) If we are to be put to such a test, so be it, but the ultimate rewards surely await those who gave all for the name of Christ, and who voluntarily became the mouth of God! Here Nehemiah is speaking of the Jews and Israelites who backslid to the point of behaving the same as the heathens, and yes, they didn't want a conscience with a mouth convincing them of their sins, so they silenced them with death! Nevertheless, the prophets were convinced to this death they experienced that they would receive reward for their sacrifice.

When we become born again, we will witness the truth as we are guided by the Spirit, and if we have been going to a false doctrine church, they will separate you from them, if you don't separate yourself from them at the first! And who said this before the day of our birth? Jesus! "These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor Me." (John 16:1 - 3) Now what a nice thing to know; they will separate themselves from us because we know Jesus and the Father!


Paul wrote to the Colossians a unique tenet concerning this suffering for Christ, as he also suffered for the church; remember, the church is not a building, but the congregation of Christ, which is you and me who believe! "Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His body's sake, which is the church: Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;" (Col. 1:24 - 25) Here Paul is teaching that because of the union of believers with Jesus as His family and church, Paul's suffering for their sakes can be called the afflictions of Christ Jesus too! All who suffer for Jesus speak of Him, and to whom do we speak of Him except our fellow believers, and to unbelievers in the truth and Christ, that we may edify one another, and win the lost to Christ! But not all unbelievers will accept what we will wpeak, and then comes the persecution! I once was delivering mail on the lower south hill of where I live, and he was hurt because he witnessed of Christ in an apartment complex where he lived, and he was heckled and suffered humiliation for his speking of Jesus, and you know what I did? I told him, "Hey, don't be glum, brother! Because they treated you with ridicule, you now have a reward promised to you in heaven by Jesus Himself! Focus on this and bring yourself joy!" It picked him up much to hear this from his older brother Christian, and so we should do for one another in like situation. Let all who profess Christ and receive a negative response never lose the presence of mind that they are TOO BLESSED TO BE DEPRESSED!

No comments:

Post a Comment