Friday, March 15, 2013

Timeline Of The Epistles



Timeline Of The Epistles
 
When most people pick up a Bible, the majority of them do not know the Epistles of Paul were not written in it in chronological order. That's right! They weren't! To prove it to yourself, study the book of Acts, and you'll find them in the following order...
Galatians was written about 49 A.D. Acts 14:21 - 28 describes the period when Galatians should have been written. "And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch, Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God. And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed. And after they had passed throughout Pisidia, they came to Pamphylia. And when they had preached the word in Perga, they went down into Attalia: And thence sailed to Antioch, from whence they had been recommended to the grace of God for the work which they fulfilled. And when they were come, and had gathered the church together, they rehearsed all that God had done with them, and how he had opened the door of faith unto the Gentiles. And there they abode long time with the disciples." (Acts 14:21 - 28) His first two trips in this epistle are found, but not his third. "Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days." (Gal. 1:18) "Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also." (Gal. 2:1)

Next you will find that 1 and 2 Thessalonians was written about 51 A.D. "Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:" (Acts 17:1) The Thessalonican church was founded in this chapter, and since these two letters were collectively written by Paul, Timothy, and Silvanus, this window of time wherein they were together presents the only way both letters were written in this time period.

After these letters, Paul is said to have written 1 & 2 Corinthians, about 55 A.D., although there is dispute that 2 Cor. is written after Romans in 58 A.D. "Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Macedonia: for I do pass through Macedonia. And it may be that I will abide, yea, and winter with you, that ye may bring me on my journey whithersoever I go." (1 Cor. 16:5 - 6) Paul was in Ephesus and writing that he was going to come to them by way of Macedonia. "So he sent into Macedonia two of them that ministered unto him, Timotheus and Erastus; but he himself stayed in Asia for a season." (Acts 19:22) With this combination, one can conclude Paul wrote 1 Corinthians while in Acts 19 (Ephesus).

Romans was written about 58 A.D., 2 years before Paul is imprisoned at Caesarea. The keys to figuring out when this book takes place is toward the end of the epistle. "But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem." (Rom. 15:25 - 26) "Timotheus my workfellow, and Lucius, and Jason, and Sosipater, my kinsmen, salute you. I Tertius, who wrote this epistle, salute you in the Lord. Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother." (Rom. 16:21 - 23) It is apparrent that he wrote 1 Corinthians and Romans on the missionary journey in Acts 18:23 - 21:17, since the Jerusalem offering of Rom. 15:25 - 26 matches the one in 1 Cor. 16:1 - 3. Romans most likely was written during Acts 20:1 - 4.

"Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children." (2 Cor. 12:14) Since he is ready to go there a third time, he has already been there twice! As he is not a prisoner in this letter, he must be between his first and second, a free man. "Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;" (2 Cor. 11:25) Anyone there can show me where in Acts Paul suffers a third shipwreck? I can't find it, therefore 2 Corinthians has to happen after Acts is completed by Luke.

1 Timothy and Titus both seem to have been written about 62 - 63 A.D. "Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord. As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine," (1 Tim. 1:2 - 3) "Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine." (1 Tim. 4:13) These two passages indicate Paul is still a free man, and he is not in immediate need of assitance like in 2 Timothy, therefore they are chronologically separately written letters.

"For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:" (Tit. 1:5) With no mention of being in chains, Paul has to be in between arrests. Therefore he has the opportunity to write Titus' epistle in the same timeframe as 1 Timothy.

Colossians is the next letter to be written, it would seem. "Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:" (Col. 4:3) See, Paul is in prison again, and he has decided to send Tychicus and Onesimus..."All my state shall Tychicus declare unto you, who is a beloved brother, and a faithful minister and fellowservant in the Lord: Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that he might know your estate, and comfort your hearts; With Onesimus, a faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They shall make known unto you all things which are done here." (Col. 4:7 - 9) "When I shall send Artemas unto thee, or Tychicus, be diligent to come unto me to Nicopolis: for I have determined there to winter." (Tit. 3:12) Paul wasn't sure he would send Tychicus or Titus, as you can see, but in Colossians he says so, forcing Colossians to be written after Titus. Placing the epistles is difficult, except for very meticulous care to see who was with Paul when, and other clues otherwise passed over!

Ephesians is very hard to place chronologically, but it is very close to Colossians, since he again speaks of sending Tychicus to them. "But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things: Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs, and that he might comfort your hearts." (Eph. 6:21 - 22) Tychicus was evidently quite a runner! What zeal he must've demonstrated for the Lord to the early churches!

Mixed in with these two very closely is Philemon, a short epistle, as one can see, wherein Paul is sending the slave Onesimus back to the owner he belongs to, Philemon. "I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds: Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me: Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels:" (Philem. 1:10 - 12) It is thought provoking to note here that Onesimus was likely unsaved in that he found it right to run away, but, led to the Lord through Paul, now willingly returns to Philemon through instruction from Paul, to once again be a slave to an apparently Christian Philemon!

The last of this tight group of writings seems to be Philippians, then at a later time, his last will be 2 Timothy. He gives evidence that he is not only in prison, but being held by Caesar, which places him located in Rome! "All the saints salute you, chiefly they that are of Caesar's household." (Phil. 4:22) Also, look at these next two passages: "Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all." (Phil. 2:16 - 17) "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand." (2 Tim. 4:6) See how he knows beforehand that he is going to be executed for being a Christian? Twice he references that he will be an offering; an offering to God! In Philippians, it is worded as though he is not sure, but maybe. In 2 Timothy, however, he is sure of it!

2 Timothy is Paul's last letter, written in 67 A.D., one year before the emporor Nero dies. "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." (2 Tim. 4:7 - 8) Because Paul says in his letter "I have finished my course", it is very clear Jesus has made him aware he will be martyred for Christ!

So here you have the real timeline of the epistles of Paul, put in chronological order by the evidence of his writings. Once converted, Paul led a great up and down rollercoaster life for the Lord, with works for God like church planting as highs and beatings and imprisonments and even a stoning for lows. You have likely been reading them in the order they were placed in the bible, but now you have an opportunity to read the Pauline epistles in chronolgical order! Only can you tell me if it made a difference when you do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment